1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
3 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
1. In a small container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, honey, salt, pepper and green onion. Close the lid, and shake vigorously to blend.
2. Place the romaine lettuce into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with dressing and toss to coat. Add orange slices and toss gently. Serve immediately.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1. Prep the romaine hearts - pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2. Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette.
3. Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.