Sheila Bird Farms CSA Member Agreement 2018
This CSA Member Agreement for 2018 establishes the expectations and risks associated with Community Supported Agriculture specific to Sheila Bird Farms, Laramie, WY, for the 2018 farm season, with the goal of creating and maintaining good relations between Sheila Bird Farms (SBF) and the CSA share purchaser (member).
1. I, the member, will receive the purchased share once weekly for 10 weeks (Early Season Share) or 15 weeks consecutively (all other shares), at Big Hollow Food Coop in the parking lot, 119 S 1st St., April 17 through June 19 (Early Season Share) or from June 26 through October 12 (all other shares) EXCEPT shares will be distributed on Wednesdays, May 30, and September 5, to accommodate Memorial Day and Labor Day holidays.
2. Produce will be available for pick up from SBF at the Big Hollow Food Coop in the parking lot, 119 S 1st St., Laramie, every Tuesday, between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. In the event of inclement weather and early market closing, I will receive an email specifying pick up will be inside the back room of the Coop, or I can check the Sheila Bird Farms Facebook page for this information. If not already on the SBF email list, I will sign up in order to maintain good communication. I understand that a conflict arising in times with the Coop may require SBF to make shares available on another day or time. It is the responsibility of SBF to coordinate that day and time to ensure freshness of product.
3. I understand if I am unable to pick up shares in a given week, I may send a friend or family member to pick up purchased shares, or may donate the shares for that week to Feeding Laramie Valley (FLV), The Eppson Center for Seniors (Eppson Center) or the Laramie Soup Kitchen, at the discretion of SBF. Any shares not retrieved by 7 p.m. will be donated. I understand that SBF is a working farm and cannot accommodate pick up outside of specified day and times.
4. Sheila Bird Farms is committed to employing organic practices such as crop rotation, cover crops, and use of beneficial insects to control pests. SBF tests both soil and water on the farm through area labs. SBF purchases almost exclusively organic seeds and plants, except when unavailable, and begins the planting season in the seedling sheds constructed inside the hoop houses on the farm, transplanting when soil and weather conditions permit. Sheila Bird Farms received USDA 100% Organic certification via Global Organic Alliance in November, 2015, was recertified in 2017, and will strive to maintain that certification annually.
5. Share produce will vary from week to week, in accordance with the growing season. I can anticipate receiving, over the course of the early season, a wide variety of salad and cooking greens, such as lettuce mix, spinach, baby kale, arugula, braising, mustard and other Asian greens, radishes, Hakurei turnips, and cool season herbs; and during regular season produce such as greens including lettuce mixes and spinach, chard, zucchini and summer squash, pickling and slicing cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, turnips, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, cabbage, scallions, leeks, onions, garlic, potatoes, cabbage, kohlrabi, carrots, and herbs such as cilantro, basil and dill, among other possibilities. Because SBF grows several varieties of different vegetables, I can expect to see variety in my shares. SBF cannot currently offer choice in vegetable selection. However, members may trade with each other on pick up day, supplement shares by shopping at the Coop or farmers markets, or donate any unwanted items to the donation box, provided at pick up site by SBF.
6. I understand that while precautions are taken to avoid pests, diseases, and weather hindrances during the growing season, there is no guarantee that any of these can be completely avoided. Therefore, shares may be affected. SBF will make every possible effort to provide a complete and varied share of produce to every member every week. In the event that produce is affected negatively by natural elements, SBF will attempt to compensate members in a future week with additional shares. However, I understand that the member shares risk with the farm, and that there is no guarantee that shares will be consistent weekly.
7. In return for the good faith displayed by members in purchasing shares before the harvest, SBF will reciprocate with extra produce whenever available, as well as items such as cut flower bouquets and value-added foods as produced, bought in or otherwise appropriately acquired. It is the goal of SBF to provide a comprehensive CSA share that is useful and pleasing to members, and encourages them to continue to support community agriculture.
8. Shares can be purchased as single, double, or family (intended to feed four people) prior to the market season. Price structure follows:
Early Season share @ $15.00/wk. x 10 weeks = $150.00, limited to 20 total shares, deadline for ordering March 14.
Single share @ $16.00/wk. x 15 wks. = $240.00 per season through March 31.*
Double share @ $21.00/wk. x 15 wks. = $315.00 per season through March 31.*
Family share @ $36.67/wk. x 15 wks. = $550.00 per season through April 15.*
I can purchase regular season shares from January 1 through March 31, 2018, at “early bird” prices by sending a check or cash to: Sheila Bird Farms c/o Rick Kent, 915 S. 10th St., Laramie, WY 82070, or by using PayPal secure online payment, accessible on the SBF website CSA page at
In keeping with the purpose of Community Supported Agriculture to provide capital to working farms at the start of the season, I understand that member shares will be purchased before March 14 only for Early Season shares, or between January 1 and March 31 for all other shares at “early bird” prices (between April 1 and April 15, at a 25% increase in price), and will not be available for purchase after April 15.
(a.) Sheila Bird Farms no longer has bison shares; however, I can purchase Prairie Monarch Bison at the Big Hollow Food Coop or online at the Prairie Monarch Bison Ranch (PMBR) website.
(b) * From April 1 through April 15, regular season shares will increase in price as follows:
Single share= $300.00
Double share= $395.00
Family share= $690.00
9. I understand that in paying for a share at the beginning of the season, this purchase is final, and that I support community agriculture, not only assuming the risk that my share may be less than expected some weeks, but that it may be greater in others, and that the end of the season may reap additional benefits as available. SBF understands that share purchases accepted in advance will be used for farming purposes only, with the goal to provide exceptional and bountiful produce to the member community, and will provide members with additional rewards as available.